Complete the sentences by writing the verb in the correct tense.
1. We a fantastic
time until the police came and broke up the party.
2. Please don’t come round between 3 and 4 in the afternoon.
We a siesta then.
3. Don’t you think it’s time we bought a new bed? We
this one for
nearly 15 years.
1. My wife earns a pretty good living. She
to private hospitals and clinics.
2. I regret not buying that second hand electric guitar on
eBay. It by now.
3. If no one offers to buy our flat, it
by auction at the
end of the year.
1. “I’m really busy today. I don’t think I’ll be able to get
a refund on that coat I bought.”
- “Don’t worry darling, give me the receipt and I
it back for you.”
2. My daughter’s so selfish lately. Yesterday she came in
something to eat, changed her clothes and went out again
without even speaking to me.
3. I saw a terrible accident the other day. A young boy fell
off his motorbike and
to hospital in an
1. We didn’t use the tent the first night on the Camino de
Santiago. We were so tired that we checked in to a hotel for
the night. We for
2. My granddad
now. He had the hip replacement last month and came our of
hospital last weekend.
3. “How did you get from the hotel to the exhibition?”
- “I . It only took
about 15 minutes.”
1. If everything goes to plan, I
all the countries
I want to by the time I’m 55.
2. I’m sorry, I can’t make it for lunch tomorrow.
therapist at 1
3. Charlie got the sack last week. He
taking money out
of the cash register.
Choose the best words to complete the following sentences.
1. You can save power if
you put your electrical devices on
2. When you fly, you can save time by using the airline’s
3. Bad decision-making was their
. It’s unlikely that they’ll be able to increase
their market share to what it was two years ago.
4. Samsung has made a bid for Nokia.
5. According to FHM men’s magazine, Britney Spears is making
a . Her 14-day tour of Kazakhstan has received rave reviews.
6. Everyone should go to the dentist’s every six months for
Choose the correct phrase to complete the idioms.
1. Don't count your
2. Birds of a feather
4. Every cloud
5. A bird in the hand
6. Where there's smoke,
7. Don't look
8. You can't teach
Choose the best expression for each sentence.
1. My boyfriend’s so
spoiled and selfish. He only thinks of himself and he always
2. Try to stay calm. I’ve phoned the ambulance and it’s
3. We only had one bottle of wine, but they charged us for
two, and the service was terrible. There’s
I’m ever going back to that restaurant.
4. You’re holding the box . If you open it like that, it’ll fall out and
break. Turn the box upside down.
5. I bought my husband a GPS because when ever we get lost
in the car, he’s always too embarrassed to stop and